CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE RECIPE AS A PDF
1 whole mackerel
10ml rapeseed oil
FOR THE RELISH
1 large cooked beetroot
1 large red chilli (deseeded & finely chopped)
100g brown sugar
150ml red wine vinegar
FOR THE SALAD
1 bulb of fennel
2 large oranges
3 mint leaves
Zest and juice of one lemon
25ml olive oil
1 large Bramley apple
1. Fillet the mackerel (or get your fishmonger to do it for you) cover with cling film and put aside for later.
2. Cut the beetroot into smaller chunks and add this to the red wine vinegar, brown sugar and chilli.
3. Boil the mixture for 3-4 minutes then reduce to a simmer until all the liquid has disappeared, leaving a sweet and spicy beetroot and chilli relish.
4. Cut the fennel in half, remove the root, slice finely and place in a bowl.
5. Mix together the lemon juice, lemon zest and olive oil (this makes the start of the marinade for your salad).
6. Zest and segment your oranges, and put the segments with the sliced fennel.
7. Add the orange zest and any juices that you can squeeze out of what is left of the orange to the marinade.
8. Cut the apple into quarters, remove the core and slice finely lengthways. Add the apple slices to the fennel and orange, pour the marinade over the salad, toss through to mix it all together and put to one side to let the flavours mingle.
9. Place your pan on the heat, season your fish and rub a little of the oil on the mackerel fillets.
10. Place the fillets skin side down in the pan and hold flat so the ends don’t curl up. Cook until the skin goes crispy, before turning the fillets over, cooking for another minute then removing and resting.
11. Meanwhile, pour off the juices from the fennel and fruits — keep the juices for when you’re plating up.
12. Toss together the fennel, orange and apple slices with the fresh rocket and shredded mint.
Place the salad in the centre of your serving plate and gently place the two mackerel fillets on top, crossed over each other. Add a spoonful of the dressing to the salad, and some of the beetroot and chilli relish on the side.