CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE RECIPE AS A PDF
FOR THE CHOCOLATE BROWNIE
280g dark Fairtrade chocolate
168g plain flour
5g baking powder
335g Fairtrade caster sugar
5ml vanilla essence
100g walnuts (roughly chopped)
50g pistachios (roughly chopped)
FOR THE BANANA ICE CREAM
55g Fairtrade caster sugar
½ vanilla pod
125ml banana liqueur
250ml double cream
3 ripe Fairtrade bananas
FOR THE KUMQUAT SAUCE
150g kumquats (quartered and de-seeded)
75g caster sugar
½ cinnamon stick
2 star anise
1 vanilla pod
PREPARE THE CHOCOLATE BROWNIE
1. Preheat the oven to 140ºC and line a baking tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Melt the dark chocolate and the butter in a bowl together over a pan of simmering water. Once melted, mix completely and leave to cool slightly.
3. In a mixing bowl placed over a pan of boiling water whisk the eggs, vanilla essence and caster sugar together until light and thickened. Mix in the melted chocolate and butter mix and then slowly fold in the sifted flour and baking powder, followed by the nuts.
4. Pour the mix into the lined tin and cook for approximately 45 minutes or until cooked through (check with a clean skewer). The brownie should remain soft and chewy.
5. Leave to cool, cut into even-sized pieces and leave to one side until you are ready to serve.
PREPARE THE BANANA ICE CREAM
1. Put the cream, milk and banana liqueur in a pan, cut the vanilla pod in half and scrape the seeds into the pan, place on the heat and bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
2. Mix together the egg yolks and sugar and pour the boiling liquid from step one over the eggs and sugar. Put the mixture back into the pan and cook gently until the custard mix coats the back of a spoon (approximately three minutes).
3. Strain the custard to remove any lumps, add the chopped bananas to the mix and allow the custard to cool to let the flavours develop.
4. Liquidise the mix and pass through a sieve again, then churn in an ice-cream machine for approximately 30 minutes.
PREPARE THE KUMQUATS
1. Put all the ingredients in a pan and simmer slowly for 30 minutes until the kumquats are soft.
Warm the brownie pieces in the oven for a couple of minutes before adding to a plate, then add a scoop of the banana ice cream and a spoonful of the kumquat sauce.