CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE RECIPE AS A PDF
1 tsp parsley (flat leaf)
1 large red onion
2 tbsp tomato puree
5 tsp gravy powder
200ml chicken stock
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 small leek
400g savoy cabbage
500g peeled potatoes
2 tsp rapeseed oil
1 tsp black pepper
8 pork and leek sausages
FOR THE BUBBLE AND SQUEAK
1. Cut the leeks in half, slice and wash.
2. Cut the onion in half, dice into 1cm squares and chop the parsley.
3. Remove the central vein from the cabbage leaves and shred finely.
4. Cut the potatoes into even sized pieces and cook in boiling water until cooked but still firm, then drain.
5. Pour the olive oil into a pan; add the leeks and diced onion and cook until softened.
6. Mix in the potatoes, cabbage and parsley until combined and season with pepper to taste.
7. Allow the bubble and squeak to colour slightly and serve piping hot in a deep bowl.
FOR THE RED ONION GRAVY
8. Finely cut two cloves of garlic and the remainder of the red onion. Make sure you don’t slice the red onion too thinly – we don’t want it to disappear when cooking.
9. Add the garlic and onions to a warm pan with a tablespoon of rapeseed oil and allow to caramelise.
10. Add the tomato puree, gravy powder and ground pepper and mix thoroughly until coated.
11. Add the chicken stock until the onions are covered.
12. Turn the heat down low and allow the red onion gravy to cook. It will thicken, so remember to check it.
13. Chop some fresh thyme for added flavour and taste for seasoning.
FOR THE SAUSAGES
14. Place the sausages into a warm pan – do not prick the sausages.
15. Allow the sausages to cook to a golden colour before turning them over.
16. Place the sausages onto a clean oven tray and place in the oven for 12-15 minutes at 160-180°C.
17. Once cooked, stack the sausages on a plate and drizzle over the red onion gravy.
18. Chop some fresh thyme into large pieces to sprinkle over the sausages.