CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE RECIPE AS A PDF
1 and a half pears (roughly 250g)
4 cod fillets (approximately 260g)
3 cardamom pods
15g cracked black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
10g sesame seeds
2 medium plums
50g red chard leaves
50g Chinese five-spice
Salt and pepper to season
For the cod:
1. Make sure the cod has been skinned and is free of bones.
2. Cut into equal pieces of between 1 and 2cm, season with pepper and salt.
3. Mix together the sesame seeds and Chinese five-spice, and then use this to lightly coat the cod pieces.
4. Pan fry on a low heat for 4-5 minutes until cooked.
For the salad:
1. Peel the cucumber and cut in half lengthways. Remove seeds by running a teaspoon down the middle, and cut into rough 1cm chunks.
2. Cut pears into equal pieces and remove core.
3. Crush the cardamom pods, scrape out seeds, and add these to a pan on low heat with a tablespoon of oil and the cucumber pieces.
4. Allow to colour slightly then add the pear pieces. Allow all the ingredients to cook for a further 3-4 minutes then place to one side.
For the dressing:
1. In a pan, warm honey until it bubbles and add the dill.
2. Dice the plums into rough 1cm pieces, removing the stones as you go.
3. When honey is ‘loose’, add the plums and let them cook for 1-2 minutes until soft and the sauce is sticky in texture.
To assemble the dish:
Mix together the pear, cucumber and red chard leaves then place into a dish. Lay the cod pieces onto the salad and drizzle the dish with the honey and plum dressing.