Click here to download the recipe as a PDF
4 pollock portions (approximately 170g)
2 large leeks (washed and sliced)
2–3 sprigs of thyme (leaves picked)
150ml crème fraiche
175g mature cheddar cheese (grated)
150ml brown ale
1 tsp English mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 egg yolks
Some baby gem lettuce, watercress and vinaigrette (for side salad)
1. In a large pan, gently sauté the leeks with the butter and thyme, until softened.
2. Mix in the crème fraiche and the grated cheese.
a small pan, reduce the ale, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. When
thick, add this mixture to the cheesy crème fraiche and cooked leeks.
4. Season well with salt and pepper and beat in the egg yolks.
5. Spread the cooled rarebit on top of the pollock. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes (depending on the size) to 180°C.
6. If you need to add colour, put under a preheated grill until rarebit is golden.
Serve straight away with a baby gem and watercress salad and drizzle over some vinaigrette dressing; the perfect accompaniment.